Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Background research helps you develop a more effective research question, as well as leading you to additional keywords and search terms. Here are some places to find help with background research:
- Your instructor is a great resource! They understand your assignment and can provide good advice about your topic and how to frame your research question.
- Talk with a librarian. We can help at any stage of your research project.
- Check the K Library Research Guides for resources to explore in specific disciplines.
Resources for background info on potential topics:
Where you search depends on the sources you need. Helpful starting questions:
- Does your assignment require you to use specific sources?
- Does your topic lend itself to a particular type of source? Books may be the best source for some topics, while other topics are covered in journal articles, and the latest news sources may be best for current topics.