Indexes tell you who published what - and give you citations with the author, article title, journal title, volume number, publication date, and page number. Indexes do not always give you the full text of articles.
Indexes the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral science. Coverage: 1952-present
Social Sciences Abstracts with Full Text
Indexes and abstracts s a wide range of interdisciplinary fields covered in social sciences journals. Coverage: Indexing 1983- present
Social Sciences Citation Index
(1993-present) Covers 1,950 scholarly social sciences journals in more than 50 disciplines. Includes cited reference searching.
International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS)
(1951-present) Covers 2,800 journals, and indexes books and chapters.
Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
(1975-present) Covers 1,500 journals in Political Science and complementary fields.
America: History and Life
America: History and Life is a bibliography of articles on the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present.
Coverage: Indexing 1964 - present
Environmental Studies Sources
Is a particular journal covered in a specific Index?Ulrich's Periodicals Directory Online
Full text databases include citations and the full text of the article.
JSTOR - all scholarly sources!
To search these journals, enter JSTOR and click SEARCH.
Project MUSE - all scholarly sources!
Contains peer-reviewed, full-text articles from leading journals and reference sources. With extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects, Articles available in both PDF and HTML full-text.
Full text articles from records in Readers' Guide Abstracts, Social Sciences Abstracts, Humanities Abstracts, General Science Abstracts, and Business Abstracts. (Please note that each periodical can begin on a different month and year.)
Do you have access to a journal?
1.) Online Journals at K
- Title search on Title of the Journal to locate article in a Full Text Database
2.) Library OneSearch (print)
- Title search on Title of the Journal to locate print journal
3.) WestCat - Western Michigan's catalog
4.) Interlibrary Loan
- Order item through Interlibrary Loan
- Use *only* when the journal is not available through Online Journals at K or Library OneSearch
Scholarly Journals and Popular Magazines/Newspapers
- Authors are scholars or researchers in their fields.
- Authors cite their sources in footnotes, endnotes, and bibliographies.
- Individual issues have little or no advertising.
- Articles must go through a peer-review process.
- Articles usually report original scholarly research.
- Most illustrations are charts, figures, or graphs.
- Authors use the specialized language or jargon of the discipline.
Popular Magazines (Time, Newsweek, Rolling Stone)
- Authors are free lance writers or magazine staff members.
- Authors may mention sources, but rarely cite them in notes or bibliographies.
- Individual issues contain many advertisements.
- There is no peer review process. Articles are reviewed by editors or publishers.
- Illustrations are numerous and colorful.
- Articles are meant to inform and entertain an educated audience.
- Language is written for the general adult audience (no specialized jargon).
Scholarly or Not?
Ulrich's Periodicals Directory Online
Look for section called "Document Type"
Document Type MUST say "Academic/Scholarly Publication" to be considered scholarly!